Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

TFTP Error

I'm trying to copy an IOS to a 3825, the IOS file is 32.1 MB, and when I try to make a copy tftp flash I get the "No such file or directory" message error on the CLI console, but in the log of my tftp server I get a error message that says: "TFTP Error from 200.14.16.1 requesting c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.123-T4.bin : File too large for TFTP Protocol"

I didn't knew that the TFTP was limited by the size of the files.

Does someone know how can I upload this IOS image in my router??

Thanks!!!

3825 log:

----------------------------------------

3825#copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host [200.14.16.96]? 200.14.16.96

Source filename [c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T4.bin]? c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T4.bin

Destination filename [c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T4.bin]?

Accessing tftp://200.14.16.96/c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T4.bin...

%Error opening tftp://200.14.16.96/c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.123-14.T4.bin (No such file or directory)

3825#

----------------------------------------

• WAN Routing and Switching
13 REPLIES

Re: TFTP Error

Try a different TFTP server. What TFTP server are you using now. Otherwise you can try FTP.

FTP guidelines are given below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c6c65.html#17789

Green

Give 3COM 3CDaemon a try (it's also free).

Make sure you use version 2.0 or higher; version 1 has a file size limitation and some ugly bugs.

3CD is great: it's a TFTP server, an FTP server, and a Syslog server ... later versions can also be a TFTP Client.

It's all I use anymore. Great for classroom use too.

FWIW

Scott

Thanks muca!

I also use solar winds tftp server, but something it's happening with IOS images larger than 16 MB that won't let you transfer it.

I'm tring with a ftp server, but it isn't working...

What type of error are you getting when using an FTP server?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

The design of the TFTP protocol does produce a size limitation (it is based on the size of the field for sequencing numbers that are part of the TFTP packet). Many TFTP server implementations have this limitation. This is why the original post was describing errors on the TFTP server.

As several posts have pointed out there are several implenentations of TFTP server which get around the size limitation. If you use one of those implementations the transfer of large files should work.

It has also been suggested that using FTP is an alternative. I would suggest that you should seriously consider using FTP for image transfers. My reasons are more than the fact that FTP does not have the same size limitation. In fact FTP is a much more efficient protocol for transferring large image files. In TFTP the packets are small and TFTP server sends one packet and waits for an acknowledgement of that packet before it sends the next one. In FTP it uses maximum size packets. And FTP will send several packets before waiting for an acknowlegement (the window size). This means that FTP is orders of magnitude faster in transfering large files than TFTP. I have recently been transfering image files over VPN IPSec/GRE connections. I find that TFTP transfers may time out and abort the transmission. I find that I can transfer the image much faster with FTP.

So I suggest using FTP for image transfers both on the basis of size limitations and also on the efficiency of the transfer and the amount of time that it will take to perform the transfer.

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Maybe I`m missing something but I`ve never had a succesful IOS transfer via FTP. The connection begins but stalls after 32/40 KB. I`ve tried using ip ftp passive but stalls the same. I`ve done this on several routers (2620, 3660, 7600) and different IOS, big or small it just stalls. Maybe the problem is the software (Win XP, GuildFTP Server). Mind you, I tried only for educational pourposes, So I havent dug enough.

The command I use is this:

copy ftp://carlos:carlos@10.2.2.8/c3660-js-mz.122-31.bin flash:

Any Ideas?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Carlos

I do not know why you have had this problem. I have used FTP many times to transfer IOS images. While I have had a few times when the transfer was not successful (timed out or had excessive errors) most of the transfers I have done have been successful. I generally use the command copy ftp: flash: and then fill in server address and file name when prompted. I have trouble believing that the form of the command would make any difference so I have also tried the command your way and it worked for me ok. I am not familiar with that ftp server and do not know if the issue might be related to it.

HTH

Rick

Would you be so nice to tell me which FTP server & OS are you using? just to know what to use when the need arises.

Thank you.

Carlos

Views
Helpful
Replies