cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp server

mailaglady2
Level 1
Level 1

I want to load an ios on a 7613 router and 6509 switch, these ios's are on my pc. has someone done this before and which tftp server software did you use, do you have a detailed step by step procedure? your assistance would be greatly appreciated. before I forget the image size is 128MB

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

There is a Freeware I use, Pumpkin TFTP Server. Fairly stable and can really take good amt of load.

You may locate it here

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/Other-Servers/PumpKIN.shtml

Or

Bing (MSFT Fan) it and you should be able to locate a downloadble file.

HTH

Please rate all helpful posts

Regards

Wilson Samuel

View solution in original post

Mpho

You will need access to the Internet for your PC to download the TFTP server software. After you have downloaded the software to your PC then you need to install the software.

After you have installed the TFTP server software you need to connect your PC on a LAN which connects to your router and switch. Your PC needs to have an IP address which establishes IP connectivity between your PC and your router and switch. Then you run the TFTP software on your PC. The details of how to point the TFTP software to the directory/folder where the image file is located may vary depending on which software you are running for TFTP.

Then on the router and on the switch you need to copy the image file from TFTP to the disk. The syntax may vary a bit depending on the model of equipment but is something like:

copy tftp: flash:

then the copy process will prompt for a couple of things including the address of the TFTP server and the name of the image file to copy. Then the copy process will copy the image file from your PC to your router or switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

There is a Freeware I use, Pumpkin TFTP Server. Fairly stable and can really take good amt of load.

You may locate it here

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/Other-Servers/PumpKIN.shtml

Or

Bing (MSFT Fan) it and you should be able to locate a downloadble file.

HTH

Please rate all helpful posts

Regards

Wilson Samuel

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mpho

The tftp server which many of us use, and which can handle image sizes as big as you mention, is tftpd32. This link will allow you to get started with it.

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Since you specifically ask about TFTP I have given a TFTP answer. I will also point out that the data transfer with FTP is quicker and more efficient than TFTP. With an image of 128 MB you might want to think about using FTP rather than TFTP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

Since no one else mentioned it...

I personally hate to wait that long for a 128 MB size file to transit through TFTP. If you have a compact flash (or there is one inside the supervisor), I would simply copy it on to that and then over to the equipment. This will save you quite a bit of time.

HTH,

Jim

Thanks for these quick responses, my router is not configured to access the internet. How do I setup this tftp/ftp server on my local machine for my boxes(router and switch) to download these ios from my PC. Never done this before

Mpho

You will need access to the Internet for your PC to download the TFTP server software. After you have downloaded the software to your PC then you need to install the software.

After you have installed the TFTP server software you need to connect your PC on a LAN which connects to your router and switch. Your PC needs to have an IP address which establishes IP connectivity between your PC and your router and switch. Then you run the TFTP software on your PC. The details of how to point the TFTP software to the directory/folder where the image file is located may vary depending on which software you are running for TFTP.

Then on the router and on the switch you need to copy the image file from TFTP to the disk. The syntax may vary a bit depending on the model of equipment but is something like:

copy tftp: flash:

then the copy process will prompt for a couple of things including the address of the TFTP server and the name of the image file to copy. Then the copy process will copy the image file from your PC to your router or switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card