cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The difference between Access Speed and Port Speed?

ohforce55
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

While the telecom team ordered a new circuit, I saw access speed and port speed on the quote.
Would you please tell me the difference between access speed (5M) and port speed (1M) and what how they work? Please see the attached.

Thank you in advance!

10 Replies 10

Hi

Access speed is a measure of how fast the data can be transferred, usually it is provided by the vendor through service plans, for example Internet service of 10Mbps. 

Port speed is the maximum speed rate capability supported by a physical port, for example a GigaEthernet port can support up to 1000 Mbps, OC3 155Mbps, etc. In your case it looks like it is an E1 or serial interface. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thank you for your comment!

So even if the access speed is 5M or 50M, since the port speed is 1M, we can use only 1M correct?

Access speed is just that how fast it can provide and we are just using 1M out of 5M?

Hi

No, you will be able to use the 5Mbps but with a speed of 1.54 Mb per second (port speed).

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Julio,

I always appreciate for your help for me to understand but... .would you please explain in more detail?

I can use 5M but with a speed of 1Mps?

Can you please give me an example?

Hi,

It is a pleasure, for example:

You have requested an Internet service of 5 Mbps (Imagine a water tap, the provider will open that for 5 Mbps only) and the provider installs an T1 device/card or serial interface on your side, it supports a maximum speed of 1.54Mbps so your speed rate or download rate will be 1.54 Mbps. 

You can see the speed rate when you are downloading some file from Internet. 

Thank you for your reply again,

So eventually when downloading, I can use the speed up to 1.5Mbps. Correct?

Then why would we need the 5Mbps access speed although we can use up to 1.5M since the port speed is 1.5M? 

Hi

that is correct, you could have many end users on your company downloading files, watching videos or surfing on Internet, Imagine if you have 1 or 2Mbps Internet plan, your Internet access could be saturated by the users and having slowness. 

Makes totally sense!

Thank you!

Hello,

it used to be that the Telco's would define access speed as the maximum you COULD get, and port speed as what you actually DO get, that is,, what you have subscribed (and paid) for...

Not sure if that is still the way they define it, but in your case it would make sense, since your access speed is higher than the port speed.

Thank you so much George!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: