Views
Helpful
Replies

Theory questions

rhltechie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am currently doing some research on trying to find out the best solution for my company. I am patrial to private line over frame relay. Can anyone say something that would sway this? or give me some links to material to read?

Has anyone had any experience with MLFR? How does it differ from MLPPP other than the private line, frame technology. Are the interface commands different? do i still have to use the old dlci deal? the claim is that it is easier, is this true?

Basically I need some info to try and make a case to use private line over frame, with cost not being a part of this.

TIA,

R

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's probably easier to point you to an example on CCO:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t8/ft_mfr.htm#wp1053444

Yep. DLCIs are still applied as per normal...

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Cost is really a big part of this but since you are saying that this is not an issue, I'll stay away from it.

Here's why you would use private lines over FR:

- you are absolutely guaranteed the rate that you purchased. Private lines use circuit-switching technology whereas FR uses packet-switching technology. Within the FR networks, frames will be competing with each other for access to bandwidth. With private lines, there is absolutely no such contention.

- you get a bit more security with private lines than with FR links although both are susceptible to mis-configuration within the provider core.

Having said that, private lines are a lot less flexible than having FR links. If you add a new site, you need to add another circuit whereas with FR, you would simply order another PVC. With FR, it is easy to move from a hub-and-spoke network to a partially or fully meshed network but it's much harder to do so with private lines...

I've used MLFR and it works quite well. It is essentially similar to MLPPP but you do get the option of multiple channels via the use of DLCIs which you don't get with MLPPP. I'd say MLPPP is slighlty easier to setup and is the technology that is more widely deployed...

Even if I could afford it, I would personally go for FR links, using any extra money I had to buy faster FR links than private lines.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

Can you give me an example of how the config would different on mlfr as opposed to a mlppp config? are dlci's still assiged like normal frame? do you have a sample?

Thanks again!

It's probably easier to point you to an example on CCO:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t8/ft_mfr.htm#wp1053444

Yep. DLCIs are still applied as per normal...

Paresh

ah, yes this helps quite a bit. thanks again.

acameron12
Level 1
Level 1

what is the nature of the data and how many points are being connected ?

Are there disaster recovery or encryption requirements ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: