Views
Helpful
Replies

three remote sites

anitachoi3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

three remote sites will be deployed. Attched the network design diagram. I have some questions and seek for expert advices

1. there is VLAN config in HQ. Does it config the VLAN in remote site?

2. any "trunk mode" is better? ISL, 802.1q, ...

3. if I config the VTP to manage the vlan between the remote sites and HQ, it can simply the vlan management. any approach is better than using VTP?

4. any sample config in HQ and remote site are welcome (URL link is welcome as well)

5. if I enable the "L2" circuit instead of MetroEthernet, is it a better solution? does it have broadcast storm issue? how to address it?

rdgs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anita:

The carrier will most likely terminate the circuit at both ends using a device that has an RJ-45 interface. You will have to run an ethernet cable from your switch port to the terminating device's RJ-45 receptacle, and then configure your switchport port as a trunk with spanning tree configurations, as you normally would if the other end were local.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

1.) Anita, if you are extending the vlan from the headquarters over the Metro-E connection to your remote site, then, yes, absolutely; you must configure the vlan on the headquarters and remote sites. You also have to allow it on the trunk.

2.) I think all carriers of Metro-E use Q-in-Q tunneling, so you would have no choice but to use dot1q.

3.) My suggestion regarding VTP is dont use it. You dont need it. It is more of a headache than its worth. Set the switches to VTP Transparent mode, which effectively shuts it off.

4.) Try Cisco's website.

5.) Im not sure I understand what you are asking. A metro-E connection is a layer 2 circuit. Its a wide area ethernet connection.

Hi,

regarding Q5, the provider can offer "extend ethernet" circuit. it means that the "A" end is "RJ45" interface which connect to HQ ethernet switch. The "B" end is "RJ45" interface which connect to remote site ethernet switch. There is no any setting on both sides (HQ, remote site).

But it may have broadcast storm issue.

rdgs

Anita:

The carrier will most likely terminate the circuit at both ends using a device that has an RJ-45 interface. You will have to run an ethernet cable from your switch port to the terminating device's RJ-45 receptacle, and then configure your switchport port as a trunk with spanning tree configurations, as you normally would if the other end were local.

HTH

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco