cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Three Routers with serial connections , can ping only In one direction

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I have three routers connected with serial connections In a home lab (Router 10,11,12)

Routers 10 and 11 both connect to router 12.I have rip2 enabled on all routers but I disabled It between Router 11 and 12 and used a static route.

I can ping from router 11 to router 10 via router 12 but I can't ping from router 10 to router 11.I can ping from router 10 to router 12 though. The switch connected to router 10 can ping router 11 which Is what confuses me.

I've added a PT file but I'm locked out of the routers and switch.I don't know what I have to change In the config to fix this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Look at router 11 you have setup a route for connected interface-

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 Serial0/0

You should put a route for subnet being used at router 10 since you are not running RIP between R12 and 11.

Thanks

Ajay

View solution in original post

Hi,

you couldn't ping R11 from R10 because R11 hadn't got a route for 192.168.6.0 subnet.

you should get rid of your passive-interface command  for serials.I had to configure the clock rate on DCE sides also.

Now everything is ok.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Look at router 11 you have setup a route for connected interface-

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 Serial0/0

You should put a route for subnet being used at router 10 since you are not running RIP between R12 and 11.

Thanks

Ajay

I made a change In the config file to upload to ftp: The actual address Is 192.168.11.1 so the static route Is correct , pointing to .10.

The problem seems to be elsewhere.Still need help!!

I uploaded the right router 11 config file now.

Hi,

could you post a diagram or PT file or GNS3 file

R10 and R11 have same IP address on f0/0 and how are  R12 and R10 connected? s1/1 to s0/0 I suppose ?

Regards.

Alain

I've stupidly changed some configurations for uploading reasons and forgot to change them. R10 fa0/0 is 192.168.10.1.

I'll upload a pt file later , at work right now.Thanks

S1/1 R12 connects to S0/0 R10

I've tried running the configs with PT but I get locked out with a password prompt In the CLI.I don't get the username and password prompt and any passwords I use fail.I removed the AAA from the config files.Not sure what I have to do.

I would delete this thread If I could , I've messed It up!

Hi Reprvoid,

From R10 you are not able to ping R11 as there is no route for 192.168.11.0 /24 in r10 routing table as you have made passive interface between R11 and R12, hence no updates from R11 to R12 and vice-versa. Nor you have made any static route in R10 to reach R11.

HTH,

Smitesh

The problem Is I can ping from a switch connected to R10 and reach R11 but I can't ping from R10 to reach R11 ??

Hi,

stay simple in your config, forget about AAA and CHAP and just focus on the routing.

Repost recent PT file and/or configs with a diagram and we'll take a look.

Regards.

Alain.

Hi.Sorry for all the fuss.I've reattached the 3 router configs and the switch config.They are the most recent.

I can ping router 11 from the switch connected to router 10.

Hi,

attach a PT or GNS3 file if you can also.

Regards.

Alain

Hi.I've added a PT file but can't access the routers within Packet Tracer.I'm locked out.

Hi,

do a password recovery, I'm gonna do it to work on your file

Regards.

Alain

I was thinking In terms of telnet passwords.I'm really not thinking today.My console password Is 1378 , the enable secret password Is reprovoforeal.

Hi,

no worries 

But your running-configs are a little bit strange.

don't do ppp chap and do not make any passive interface for RIP and don't overlap  subnets on different interfaces.

Regards.

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card