Views
Helpful
Replies

Throttle back vlan speed

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a 1GB fibre link that carry's several vlan's from one server room to another.  For example Vlan 1 is for user traffic but I use Vlan 6 for backup traffic.  Is it possible to throttle back vlan 6 so that it only has say 10% of the 1GB link to use for bandwidth

I want to keep the 90% for vlan 1

regards,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

Now it's clear that you are running 3750E stack of switches, but QoS is not enabled on the device.

If you want to prefer one traffic over the other you need some jigsaw pieces for the puzzle:

- enable QoS on the switch;
 - identify backup traffic (per VLAN or per port or per ACL) and mark it;
 - per QoS configuration on the outbound port, give 90% bandwidth to all the classes, but Backup, give 10% to backup.

Basic configuration for QoS may be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.html#pgfId-1098448

Please make sure you understand L2 QoS before you start configuring anything. Otherwise you will fails troubleshooting even the first QoS issue in your network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello.

You may do this with QoS on the link.

Please provide "show ver", "show inventory" and "sh mls qos" from the switch (that is sending traffic).

Vasilii,

I have attached the three outputs.

regards,

Kevin

Hello.

Now it's clear that you are running 3750E stack of switches, but QoS is not enabled on the device.

If you want to prefer one traffic over the other you need some jigsaw pieces for the puzzle:

- enable QoS on the switch;
 - identify backup traffic (per VLAN or per port or per ACL) and mark it;
 - per QoS configuration on the outbound port, give 90% bandwidth to all the classes, but Backup, give 10% to backup.

Basic configuration for QoS may be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.html#pgfId-1098448

Please make sure you understand L2 QoS before you start configuring anything. Otherwise you will fails troubleshooting even the first QoS issue in your network.

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for this information.

I will do some work on this in a lab environment before I try this on the 'Live' network

Kind regards,

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card