cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TLS(Transparent LAN Service) Vs. Point-to-Point (100MB)

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

We have multiple DS3 and T1s with two major campuses and buildings.

Our ISP contract wil be expired soon, so we are looking for increase bandwith between campuses and buildings.

Alos, we are trying to have redudancy between two main Campuese. So we are going to upgrade from DS3 to point-to-point 100 MB ethernet (e.g. Verizon). And have 10MB TLS(Transparent LAN Service) for backup (e.g. Qwest).

My question is here:

1. The ISP told me TLS is layer 2, and ISP will do the routing for us, basically, the ISP told me that I just need command "no shut" on switch or router. Well, this is our first time to use TLS, I am not sure how to configure TLS our end. The ISP just give us Ethernet Handoff. Can you tell me that??

Anyway, 100MB point-to-point is Layer 3 between two fastethernet interface and use EIGRP.

And 10MB TLS is layer 2 to back-up 100MB point-to-point layer 3.

What I understand is that the traffic will always to use layer 2 10 MB TLS first. And 100MB point-to-point will never kick-in. AM I right????

In other words, how to control traffic to use 100MB point-to-point first, then TLS second, or Load balancing.

Hopefully, my questions are clear.

Thanks

Ken

6 Replies 6

atif.awan
Level 3
Level 3

In my opinion both of these services are providing you with Layer-2 links and are relying on your configuration to handle any routing if required. You can use both as LAN extensions whereby you will basically be extending your LAN at one location to the remote location; however, if you do that be very careful about creating loops.

From what I can tell you are not interested in extension of the LAN. In that case you can terminate both services on routed ports on each side and treat them as point-to-point links just as you would do for any WAN links. On top of these point-to-point links you can run any desired routing protocol and play with routing metrics if required. In your case (as long as you set the bandwidth parameter correctly on the routed interfaces) the 100MB link should be preferred by default.

Usually for TLS services there is no routing to be taken care of by the Service Provider. It is only for Layer-3 VPN solutions that the Service Provider comes into the picture from a route exchange perspective.

Thanks for your post.... I still confuse.

Can you give me example how to configure VPLS (TLS) "customer side" for router and switch? And, can you also give me configuration of ISP.

Then I will have idea at least.

Thanks

Ken

VPLS is normally used when you require multipoint to multipoint Ethernet connectivity across campuses whereby you extend your LAN across geographically disparate locations.

In your case we are not using VPLS for multipoint connectivity and I believe it is safe to assume that your only intention is to use the 10MB line as a point-to-point connection between the two main campuses. Do not be concerned about the configuration on the ISP side as it is not relevant to you. The ISP will in essence provide you with a transparent ethernet pipe which is analogous to you running a ethernet cable between the two main campuses. How you configure things on your side is completely up to you. You can just attach the ethernet on a switch on both sides without actually configuring anything and in this case you are effectively extending the LAN across both campuses. However, I believe this is not your intention. What you can do is attach the ethernet on each side to a router (or multilayer switch) and just treat it as a point to point connection:

Campus A (Router A)

Router_A#config t

Router_A(config)# int Fa0/1

Router_A(config-if)# ip address a.a.a.a x.x.x.x

Router_A(config-if)# no shut

Campus B (Router B)

Router_B#config t

Router_B(config)# int Fa0/1

Router_B(config-if)# ip address a.a.a.a x.x.x.x

Router_B(config-if)# no shut

Put both these interfaces in the same subnet and once configured try pinging them. If the ISP has configured things on their end properly you should be able to ping the other router. You can now run a routing protocol over this link and treat it as a point-to-point link.

Atif,

Thanks a lot!!!

Yes we will have 10MB TLS to backup 100MB point-to-point. So what you try to say, I can treat 10MB TLS as a point-to-point connectio, if I understand you correctly.

Also, there will be a hub-spoke TLS connection, which is 1 physical ethernet interface (Main building) to 3 physical ethernet interface (3 branches).

So can I configure like frame-rely subinterface:

Main Site (Router A)

interface fas 0/1.1

ip address a.a.a.a x.x.x.x

!

interface fas 0/1.2

ip address b.b.b.b x.x.x.x

!

interface fas 0/1.3

ip address c.c.c.c x.x.x.x

Branch one (Router B)

intrace fas 0/1.1

Branach two (Router C)

interface fas 0/1.1

Branch three (Router D)

Thanks for help again.

Ken

Atif,

Thanks a lot!!!

Yes we will have 10MB TLS to backup 100MB point-to-point. So what you try to say, I can treat 10MB TLS as a point-to-point connection, if I understand you correctly.

Also, there will be a hub-spoke TLS connection, which is 1 physical ethernet interface (Main building) to 3 physical ethernet interface (3 branches).

So can I configure like frame-rely subinterface:

Main Site (Router A)

interface fas 0/1.1

!

interface fas 0/1.2

!

interface fas 0/1.3

Branch one (Router B)

intrace fas 0/1.1

Branach two (Router C)

interface fas 0/1.1

Branch three (Router D)

interface fas 0/1.1

Thanks for help again.

Ken

Yes you can treat it as a point-to-point connection only if it is between two sites.

For your second TLS connection from Main office to three branches I believe it is a multipoint connection but please confirm this with your service provider. If it is indeed a multipoint connection then the think of all these sites connected to one common switch. I am pretty sure you cannot use the sub-interface configuration unless your service provider is providing you with a point-to-point connection from each branch to the main office and is allowing you to connect via a trunk interface (each VLAN will be mapped to a separate pseudowire).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card