Helpful
Replies

topology

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

HI

Have a look to this topology:

site 1 point to point to ho(leased line)

site 2 wirless link to ho

site 3 wirless link to site.

the q is if i have point to point;should i sumarize to the HO.

q2.how can i sumarize in the site 2&3.do i sumarize from site 3 to 2 or what coz site 3 have a Wirless connection to site 2 not to HO.

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ali,

AFAIK about your network you will be implementing EIGRP in your network? Correct me if I am wrong.

EIGRP has a nature for auto summaristion but if you have disabled it you can implement manual summarisation.

You can very well summarise on site 3 to site 2 so that finally the routes reaching site 2 and further to site HO will be a summarised routes so this will reduce the size of routing table in site 2 as well as site 1.

BUT if you do not have a big ip network where there can be seveal subnets inside one major network I do not think you need summarisation. Summarisation will be of much help where there are several subnets moving out from your site and instead of advertising several subnets or routes you can have one summarised route or subnet which can cover many subnets.

Actually it all depends on your network size. But inase you are going for summarisation make sure you also have a static route for that summarised route pointing to null interface to avoid possible routing loop. Again it is not neceaasry there will be a routing loop all depends on your network design and setup.

To know more about summarisation in EIGRP have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrp-toc.html#summarization

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

hi Ankur 10xs for ur reply!

ofcourse the routing protocol its EIGRP.

b/W.Ankur congratulation To joining Cisco Systems.

10xs

Ali

hi

But inase you are going for summarisation make sure you also have a static route for that summarised route pointing to null interface to avoid possible routing loop!how can i acheive this.can u list some config ps.

network that i have sumarized:

10xs

10xs

ali

hi ali,

first of all you need to configure the null0 interface using global configuration mode

conf)# interface null0

then you just need to add the static route which indicating the path for perticular detination (for example 100.1.00) towards the null interface0 which will drop the packet ...

ip route x.x.x.x subnetmask null0

and you can also do it by using the routmaps.

hope this will help

rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang

hi devange 10xs for ur reply

ofcourse i rate the post if it does or not.

ali

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card