Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

trace hop

Attached is a rough sketch for my question. Site A is connected to SiteB & C over leased line link.
question is pertaining to site B & Site C segments.
Site B uses ip segment 192.168.200.0 /24. So in this case assume coreswitch 1 site B to be having
192.168.200.5 on one of its vlans .
Site C is an extension of site B and the connection between site B and site C is a fiber link and not
any wan connectivity.Site C is connected to Site B over fiber link on a hub vlan with ip segment
192.168.200.10 /28.
Site C uses 192.168.300.0 /24 as its main segment however it has a server vlan 212 which is using
172.16.0.2 /24 as its ip ( for some unknown reasons as its quite legacy ).

Query is:
If i try to trace a server(from Site A) stationed at Site C on its Vlan 212 bearing ip 172.16.0.20,
output doesnt complete after 192.168.200.12 which is the hub interface ip for site c linking to site B.
however a ping from same source completes successfully & connectivity to servers are also fine.
It is only the trace that baffles me.Shouldn't the trace be completing till Vlan 212 or to actual server on site C.
Site C has only a default route throwing all traffic to Site B core switch. Site B has static routes recognising this different subnet 172 from Site C.
Is this normal ? Please help me to understand this behaviour.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY
Super Bronze

Re: trace hop

Is there any firewall and/or ACL that might be blocking the traceroute?

If you try to trace the other way round, what is the result?

Views
Helpful
Replies