Views
Helpful
Replies

Track interface on ethernet circuit

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

The only option that I have under the IOS that's installed on a 2900 series router is track. I don't have a version that supports SLA. The interface is connected to a switch that the ISP gave, and all of the tests that I've done refuse to make the circuit go down. If I were to lose the circuit, the interface won't show to be down unless the switch were to go down.

Is there any way with track to see that the provider's circuit went down on a switch? I was going to set up sla to ping the ISP's address, but I can't do that unless I upgrade the OS. These are a pair of routers running hsrp at a remote datacenter. Is sla the only way that I'm going to be able to accomplish this? I have tried track with different options in gns and all of them keep the CE's interface up and doesn't show it down. Watching a route in the table isn't feasible because I wouldn't want it to fail over because another site is having problems. Tracking the route doesn't work for connected routes either because the route itself doesn't leave the table as long as the interface is up.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

You need to upgrade the IOS and go w/ IP SLA to fulfill this task.

Regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

You need to upgrade the IOS and go w/ IP SLA to fulfill this task.

Regards,

Edison

That's what I was afraid of

Thanks Edison!

John,

Can you check if BFD is available for you? That could be an alternative.

It's not. We're running IPBase, but I had some questions about the format of the new images. When I search for an image that supports bgp, qos, and sla, I come back with a few images that *looks* like it supports it. A screenshot is below:

If you notice above, the Universal (whatever) all point to the same file. How are these licensed now? I downloaded the Universal (Data) one, but it still doesn't have sla support.

Thanks!

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card