Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Traffic issue is Serial

In one of my project router we when I check the interface of my serial

by command sh int s0 In Input interface I can see traffic but on output interface traffic is showing to be 0 bits.sec and same is happening on the router at other end Out going is showing traffic but incoming is zero but project people are working fine, thought there are complaints of slow connectivity but they are able to work what I am not understanding over here is why interface is shoing no traffic?

any help will be appreciated

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Traffic issue is Serial

Hello,

which counter are you looking at ? The 5 minute input/output rate ?

Regards,

GP

Yes, GP

I am looking at that counter

VIP Purple

Hello,

if traffic is low, that counter actually might average 0. Below is, what I think. a pretty good explanation of how the counter works. What it comes down to is that it averages the incoming/outgoing traffic over a period of five minutes...

In order to get a better picture of the actual traffic, have a look at the ´packets input´ and ´packets output´ counters, these are cumulative.

--

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

Average number of bits and packets received/transmitted per second in the last 5 minutes.

The 5-minute input and output rates should be used only as an approximation of traffic per second during a given 5-minute period. These rates are exponentially weighted averages with a time constant of 5 minutes. A period of four time constants must pass before the average will be within two percent of the instantaneous rate of a uniform stream of traffic over that period.

--

Also, here is a link that explains all the other counters as well:

Understanding the SHOW INTERFACE SERIAL stats

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1310

HTH,

GP

Hi

I feel since your remote location is uploading some bulk data to your location you are seeing the increase in OUT counters there at the remote end and the IN counters at your end.

for more accurate info i would suggest to tweak the load-interval to 30 seconds.

Also just generate a continous ping and check if there are any increments in the OUT counters at your end router..

regds..

Views
Helpful
Replies