Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic-Limit

Alcides Miguel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks,

I'm looking for help on traffic limit (shapping) 'cause I've a Hub-and-Spoke topology where the remote site are all using 128K and I would like to avoid congestion making the egress and ingress traffic not going over the link capacity.

best regard,

Alcides

18 Replies 18

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What kind of WAN technology?

Hi Joseph,

I don't konw if I'm wright but I'm using dedicated point-to-point links with GRE interfaces.

thanks,

Alcides,

Hi,

for GRE tunnels you have a couple of options to shape ur traffic, but it all depends on what exactly u have in mind. traffic will be limitted to 128K at last, by congestion management, do you mean you want to drop the excess traffic at the begining or you want prioritize some flows so they wouldnt get stuck in congestion?

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Hi Soroushm,

thanks you all,

what I wan't is to prioritize some traffic but also prevent traffic not exced the link capacity

best regards,

Alcides

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

How many spokes (each 128K?) and what's the hub's physical bandwidth?  What's the physical interface technology (both sides)?

Hi Joseph,

At the spoke side I've Cisco 2911 router with giga interface and at the hub side I've a Cisco 7204 and planning to migrate to a 3945 with E1 at now I've 22 spokes.

thanks,

Alcides

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

One potential problem - your hub's E1 provides less bandwidth than the aggregate for your 22 spokes at 128K each.

Disregarding that, on the spokes you might try:

interface tunnel #

qos pre-classify

interface gig #

traffic-shape rate 115000

And on the hub:

policy-map shape4spoke

class class-default

shape average 115000

fair-queue

interface tunnel 1

service-policy shape4spoke output

interface tunnel 2

interface tunnel 22

Hi Joseph,

whats is the equivalent command for cisco 2911 series ("traffic-shape rate") I only found "rate-limit" should I use this command if so can give 2 example 1 for 128K and another for 1M.

best regards,

Alcides 

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

No longer supports traffic-shape, eh?

policy-map Shape128K

class class-default

shape average 115000

fair-queue

Apply on either your tunnel interface or physical interface, if on physical, and using tunnel(s), add qos pre-classify to tunnel interface.

For 1Mbps, just use 900000 instead of 115000.  (NB: I'm shaping 10% slower to allow for L2 overhead; adjust as you need.)

Hi Joseph,

I tried the configuration you proposed but I still have peak or traffic going under 1Mbps that is the link capacity.

BRANCH

!

!

policy-map Shape

class class-default

shape average 900000

fair-queue

!

!

!        

interface Tunnel1

description ### CONNECTED TO HUB ###

bandwidth 1024

ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/0.100

ip mtu 1400

ip wccp 62 redirect in

ip nbar protocol-discovery

ip tcp adjust-mss 1360

load-interval 30

qos pre-classify

keepalive 10 3

tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/2

tunnel destination

service-policy output Shape

!

!

HUB

!

!

interface Tunnel104

description ### TO BRANCH ###

bandwidth 1024

ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0

ip mtu 1400

ip wccp 62 redirect in

ip nbar protocol-discovery

ip route-cache flow

ip tcp adjust-mss 1360

ip ospf cost 1

qos pre-classify

keepalive 10 3

traffic-shape rate 900000 21600 21600 1000

tunnel source

tunnel destination

!

!

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Actually, on the branch, suggested the shaper be placed on the physical interface, not the tunnel.

What exactly are you graphing?

Hi Joseph,

As you suggested i put the policy is now applied to the physical interface

3009-WRT-01#sh policy-map int gi0/2

GigabitEthernet0/2

Service-policy output: Shape

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

1032257 packets, 186339843 bytes

5 minute offered rate 282000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: any

Queueing

queue limit 64 packets

(queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops/flowdrops) 0/725/0/725

(pkts output/bytes output) 1031532/186438067

shape (average) cir 900000, bc 3600, be 3600

target shape rate 900000

Fair-queue: per-flow queue limit 16

!

and for graphing I'm using Netflow application.

best regards,

Alcides

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear.  When I asked what you're graphing, I meant what interface(s).  Hub, branch, tunnel and/or physical?

Hi Joseph,

I'm graphing the tunnel interface at Hub site.

here the output of the show policy-map

BRANCH-WRT-01#sh policy-map interface gi0/2  

GigabitEthernet0/2

Service-policy output: Shape

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

14262051 packets, 2309578882 bytes

5 minute offered rate 49000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: any

Queueing

queue limit 64 packets

(queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops/flowdrops) 0/6292/0/6292

(pkts output/bytes output) 14255758/2319210198

shape (average) cir 900000, bc 3600, be 3600

target shape rate 900000

Fair-queue: per-flow queue limit 16

best regards.

Alcides

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card