cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic path of enterprise public prefix for a remote office with Internet and MPLS connection.

jorkchristopher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a question regarding how a remote site should route traffic to the enterprise's public prefixes when it has a local Internet and MPLS connection. The two options are two have all traffic to public prefixes route over the Internet connection. The other option is to have the headend MPLS router advertise the enterprise's public prefixes over the MPLS cloud, which would then cause the remote sites to route traffic to the enterprise's public prefixes through the MPLS connection.

My assumtion is to have all Internet traffic traverse the Internet even if it belongs to the enterprise. What is the preferred method? Please let me know if this wasn't clear.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You are right. Main issue is to maintain symmetric traffic paths.

This is at least a requirement for your internet traffic because it has to transit stateful firewalls, IPS devices and similar. Any asymmetry there will kill you or at least provide ample source for tricky issues.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You are right. Main issue is to maintain symmetric traffic paths.

This is at least a requirement for your internet traffic because it has to transit stateful firewalls, IPS devices and similar. Any asymmetry there will kill you or at least provide ample source for tricky issues.

regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco