Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transparent Bridging

HI

I am trying to configure transparent bridging over E1 network but not working. Pls refer Scenario in attachment and reply.

Regards
Maninder

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maninder

We could give you better answers if you would supply more detail about what you have put into your configuration. But assuming that you really do want to do transparent bridging (and not something like Integrated Routing and Bridging) then I have these suggestions for you.

- configure a bridge group.

- assign the bridge group to the Ethernet interfaces of both routers and to the E1 interfaces of both routers.

- turn off ip routing (no ip routing - this is the step that most people miss in trying to do this).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard

Thanks for replying.  I already configure bridge group and assign to E1 Port and Gigabit Ethernet port also. But still not working.

Maninder

Your response tells us that you have configured the bridge group and assigned it to the interfaces. But it does not tell us whether you have disabled ip routing as I suggested. Have you done the no ip routing?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard

Yes, I disabled routing with no ip routing but its still not working.

Maninder

Thanks for clarifying that you did disable ip routing. Perhaps if you post the complete configuration we might find the reason why it is not working.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard

Thats not possible for me to share complete configuration.

Maninder

If that is not possible then I do not know what else I can do to help you solve this issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello

Why do you post the configuration and change the addressing to private

then we mabye assist in solving your problem.

Res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello.

If someone can help about his problem about transparent bridging:

You have pc1  and pc2 both in same network, and one router between.

on router you bridge two interfaces 

int f0/1 bridge group 1 no shut

int f0/0 bridge group 1 no shut

bridge 1 protocol ieee

and for bridging to work: NO IP ROUTING. otherwise, when you ping pc2 from pc1, arp won't pass to other link to pc2.

but

there is a case in wich bridging works with IP ROUTING:

Untitled.png

in this case, ping between pc1 (1.1.1.10/24) and pc2 (1.1.1.11/24)works

packets on trunks are tagged with vlan 2

why router bridges in this case (when frame coming in R is tagged (and there is no subinterface on router for vlan2)) ?

Thanks

Hello

try the following on the rtr.

bridge irb
bridge 2 protocol ieee
bridge 2 route ip

int bvi 2
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
no shut

int fa0/0
no shut
bridge-group 2

int fa0/1
no shut
bridge-group 2

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: