Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Trouble routing two domains (for two webservers) through the same router

We are having difficulty hosting two different webservers within our network. We have one router (2620) that handles all of our traffic. We cannot properly configure our router to tell which http/https requests (based on the domain) are for which server.

One is located at 10.1.1.4, is a Netware web server and is attached to our gw.com domain.

The other is at 10.1.1.17, is a Microsoft server and is attached to our citrix.com domain.

We initially thought we needed to edit the host tables to recognize which domain the request was coming in on and then route it to the proper internal i.p. address.

Any help or suggestions? I tried searching previous posts and couldn't find much that matched...

6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Trouble routing two domains (for two webservers) through the

Hi,

I'm presuming that you are using NAT on your routers. The router only cares about IP addresses when forwarding traffic, and not domain names. Therefore, configure your NAT statements so that the public IP for each server maps to the correct internal address.

If you could post your current config, that would help.

Paresh

Community Member

Hi Paresh,

Thanks for the response - yes we are using NAT.

Part of our problem is that we are trying to accomplish this with only 1 public IP address with two different domains to seperate the services.

Is this possible or are we just shooting in the dark?

Community Member

use different public ip port for different webserver

Purple

Since you are using the same public IP for both servers, requests for both will be destined to the same public IP and port. Since the router only cares about addresses, not names it will on-forward it to whatever local address the public IP is mapped to.

The only option you have is to use a different port for one of your servers. For example, you could use port 8080 for the other server, then translate incoming requests to port 8080 to port 80 of the local address of the server. If that is not acceptable, you have to get a second public IP.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Community Member

I think what you are trying to replicate is the "host headers" many web servers allow which allows many domains on a single server with a single IP. As Paresh points out, the NAT translation is only concerned with TCP/IP ie you can only map public port TCP 80 to a single inside server.

You will need multiple IPs or move both web sites to a single server using "host headers" but thats another story.

Hope this puts you in the right direction.

Community Member

Thanks - That really helps.

We had figured that the above might be the case but we were trying to see if there were any other ways.

Thanks everybody - I appreciate it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content