Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshoot point 2 point Connectivity

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am unable to find out origin of failure if two router is connnected to each other through p2p lease line.

Suppose i Sitted at Router1 location and my remote location (Router2) is Down due to some reason.

How can i find that what is exact thing responsible for failure. Plz explain with useful commands

may be  Router2's Serial port (s0/1) is down

OR

may be ISP lease Line is down but Router2 s1/0 port is ok

Plz see attached snap.jpg file for Rough Scenerio.

12 Replies 12

rais
Level 7
Level 7

If you can't ping the other side of the leased line [IP on your router] then most likely your leased line is down. Depending upon technology used you should be able to determine the exact cause. Use 'show interface ser1/0' command to find out details.

Thanks.

Hello

You can check the kine protocols

Sh ip interface brief

Also if this is a serial connection via T1 +

Sh controllers
Sh frame-relay lmi
Sh frame-relay map

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

'show interface serial' on r1 if shows line protocol as down then you should get the idea that something is not right on the other side. Other than that you can run debugs to check for the status of the other. what is the encapsulation you've on both serial intefaces?

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

These all replies still not clear to me......

I want to know that how can i say that Router2 port is down   OR   p2p lease line is down ?

which router command tell me exact details about failover ?

Encapsulation  = PPP

Second question,  What does mean of this command  "F0/1 is up, line protocol is down"

Hello

Can you run these commands as suggested and post the results!

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Kuldeep,

You're running PPP on layer 2 and the " "F0/1 is up, line protocol is down" says the layer 1 is fine and layer 2 (which is PPP in your case as per your notes) is not being established. In this case, you don't need to run any of the Frame relay commands.

In case of PPP on layer 2, there is no show command which will tell you that the port is up or down otherthan There's only show interface <> output.  You can run some PPP debug commands to check further about the issue but they can be little too much too handle at times. Commands are 'debug ppp negotiation' and 'debug ppp authentication' which can read about here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk507/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ae945.shtml

More about your second question:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/31559

Subeh

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I do not have this type of network setup ....but i am planning to make same for my remote locations.

so those who faced this problem plz share commands with logs so that i can easily understand where

will occuring problem.....this is my very simple question

KS

Kuldeep,

Have you even read what people have commented on your query rather than just blindly putting some redudandant posts? What is it that i've wirtten in my post not clear to you or not applied in your scenario? What is the setup? Please follow the guidelines when posting on this forum.

Thanks,

Subeh

Hey Kuldeep,

maybe some people would be interested and suggest you some solution but you did not provide any output of your router(s) .

pdriver want output of this commands:

Sh controllers

Sh frame-relay lmi

Sh frame-relay map

If you can't provide any outputs of routers than it is very hard to troubleshoot your issue.

Regards,

Jan

Hi All Cisco Experts,

I have not yet found the right answer.

My question is very simple if  Router1 of Site1 is connected to Router2 of Site2 using either

serial / ethernet port and both sites are connected over fibre optic/copper lease line.

Suppose Site2 is not responding/connected and there is no any person at that time to

coordinate with me ( i am siiting at Site2) then how can i identify that where is actual

problem is in the Serial/Ethernet port   OR   ISP link.

Please experts explain it with Logs and usable Commands so that i can understand at once.

I am working at Client-Side project that's why i do not have any access of devices.

But i would like to check this issue on my own network when problem will occur.

Note : Consider only simple Serial port not E1 port in my case ;  Encapsulation = ppp

KS

The short answer is you can't definitively define where the issue is without access to both ends of the link.

As you are saying you will be on site2/router 2 you can do a show interface serial*/* or ethernet*/* This can give an indication as to which end of the link the issue is at. if it is down/down then the issue is local to you. If up/down then the issue is at the far end. However this does not define whether the issue is ISP or router related. You would need someone to check the router at the far end since it could be as simple as an unplugged cable or router powered off. Before raising a case with an ISP the questions they will ask are:

Is the router powered on

Has it been power cycled

Has the cabling been checked.

The majority of the time these basic checks will resolve the issue.

Hi All,

Please experts give me exact solution for this problem...........Solve my long term issue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card