Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Trunk Groups

Hello,

Simple question, if I create a trunk group (example trk6) on a core switch do I name the trunk group number on the edge switch I am configuring?

Example I have a 5406zl I've created a number of trunk groups, do the trunk numbers need to be the same on the edge?

This is more aimed at procurve stuff.

5 REPLIES
Silver

Trunk Groups

HGAED School wrote:

Hello,

Simple question, if I create a trunk group (example trk6) on a core switch do I name the trunk group number on the edge switch I am configuring?

Example I have a 5406zl I've created a number of trunk groups, do the trunk numbers need to be the same on the edge?

This is more aimed at procurve stuff.

Would it not be smarter to ask this on a HP support forum, not a CISCO support forum??

Trunk Groups

Yes but no one ever replies over at HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver

Trunk Groups

HGAED School wrote:

Yes but no one ever replies over at HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody is likely to reply with anything useful here either. :-)

Trunk Groups

I'm sure they will, they aways do!

any ideas while your here

Silver

Trunk Groups

HGAED School wrote:

I'm sure they will, they aways do!

any ideas while your here

Well, in a Cisco world my answer would be no - port-channel groups (which is what I believe HP trunk-groups equate to) are device-specific, and don't care what the matching numbers at the other end are as long as the cabling connects to the right places. You can connect PO1 on one device to PO10 on another (and I have, frequently).

I don't know if this applies to HP switches or not - I've never used one, and have no idea if they transmit some additional information in establishing the trunk group.

Cheers

Views
Helpful
Replies