cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to console into WS-C3560V2-48PS-S with Console cable attached to USB converter

okoroji80
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am having issue consoling into  Cisco 3560V2 using console cable attached to USB to serial adapter.

using putty.

when i try to login on the putty i only see black screen.

What could be the problem ?

5 Replies 5

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

What settings you got in the 'Serial' section of Putty. That section will allow you to configure necessary settings to connect via console. Check te below link..

http://etherealmind.com/putty-recomend-default-settings-network-engineer/

hth

MS

Edit: Link added to find where you can edit settings. It may not have exact settings needed.   

The setting are  all in order.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

The problems could be the following

1 the cable is busted

2 the usb/serial converter or its drivers is busted

3 the switch port is busted

4 the pc is busted

5 The settings are wrong on the switch compared to the converter

6 the terminal program is listening on the wrong port

of these i would state that to test out the problems it would be easiest to

connect to a known good device.

if it works there then we know that the pc is ok and the cable is fina and the drivers are ok

that remains then two things

The switch port/switch itself is busted OR the switch is configured to run in a different speed/mode on the serial interface..

good luck

hth

p.mcgowan
Level 3
Level 3

common problem I have experienced with USB-serial converters is that they normally require a specific driver to be installed, without the driver you won't get any output from the console.

Other common problem is that the USB-serial converter is faulty, I have gone through several over the years, they just seem to stop working for some reason

good luck

okoroji80
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks one more issue!!

i would like to know the configuration required on the SWITCH to be able to use fiber to uplink the two switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card