Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Trying to figure out why my wireless ping is so high compared to the wired connection my router is connected to.

I went to and ran it on the wired computer and got a ping of 32ms and a jitter of 2ms for a grade of an A. Then I went to my computer accessing the same wired connection through the router that the first computer is connected to (had the computer right next to the router) and got a ping of 329ms and a jitter of 440ms for a grade of a F. I know that the wireless is going to be worse no matter what, but it shouldn't be this bad. We only have 2-3 computers on this secured home connection and usually only 1-2 are active at a time. I checked the ping of another computer as well and it reflected similar results to the computer with the 440ms jitter. So is this interference? (I do have 2.4Ghz phones that interfere with the wireless signal that completely block the signal when dialed, I don't know if that would contribute even if not dialed) Would a wireless repeater help? Recommendations?

Everyone's tags (2)
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Trying to figure out why my wireless ping is so high compare

That is normal. Wireless work differently than wired, can loose and resend packets, etc.

For more questions please use the Wireless forum, not this one.

CreatePlease to create content