cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to upgrade 3750 IOS .tar file

jcutler0622
Level 1
Level 1

I have yet to do anything with .tar files. What would be the best way to place it on the switch? Do I TFTP the .tar file onto the switch?

Any help woul be great. I have done IOS upgrades on all kinds of sw and rtr's but never seen this the .tar files. Thanks!!

15 Replies 15

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

TAR is data compression and archival format

A IOS TAR file contains more files and complicated directory structure - so it would be difficult copy and create directory one by one on switch

Use command archive for downloading and uncompressing IOS file:

switch#archive download-sw tftp:

M.

Hope that helps rate if it does

It does help some what, so I would just leave the file as is, unzipped and go into the switch and dothe following cmd line switch#archive download-sw tftp: (does the image go here?) Thanks for your help I will rate at the end.

Regards,

JC

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Another easier way to do is get the .tar file on a Linux machine and get it decompressed and just upload the .bin file to the Switch.

If you are less comfortable with Linux and more comfortable the MS Windows, you may very well use WinRAR Compression tool and it would be quite helpful.

HTH,

Please rate all useful posts.

REgards,

Wilson Samuel

you can use below comand to upgrade switch from .tar file.

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name.tar

you can use /leave-sw in place of /overwrite in case you don't won't old IOS to be deleted.

yu can use /reload option if you want to automatically reboot switch once upgrade is done.

refer to this URL to get more information.

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2970/12220se1/ol554702.htm#wp559616

hope it helps ... rate if it does ....

When you refer to location, I know this is a dumb question but I am guessing that you mean the location on my local machines drive for exp. the f drive or c drive? And the image being the new IOS duh :). What is the structure? Here is what you suggested,

switch# archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name.tar

Would mine look like this?

switch# archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:F:\ntcc\Cisco\Ci

sco-IOS\3750\c3750-ipbasek9-tar.122-25.SEE2.tar

Please confirm!!! all the foward slashes are right and what not lol. Thanks a bunch

Nope sorry no access to a linux box at this time. And I have no idea what WinRaR comp tool is.

Here is the error mes. I am getting when trying to do this. I have the .tar file with the IOS on a local machine and I am trying to get it on the switch. I have configured VLAN1 with an ip addr on the same subnet as the machine. Any help???

Switch#archive download-sw tftp:192.2.2.7

Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads

examining image...

%Error opening tftp:192.2.2.7 (Invalid IP address or hostname)

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

Hi JCutler,

You may very well download the WinRAR from the following URL http://www.rarlab.com/

WinRAR is a real cool software for almost all sorts of File Compression requirements.

HTH,

Please rate all the useful threads,

Regards

Wilson Samuel

I feel command will look like this:

switch# archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:c3750-ipbasek9-tar.122-25.SEE2.tar

you dont need to mention c: or F: in location because in your tftp server, you will set the path to c: or f: or directory wihin that drive where you have kept c3750-ipbasek9-tar.122-25.SEE2.tar file.

hope to help ... rate if it does ....

Ok guys for anyone who cares this is how I got it to work: Below is the syntax:

router#archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://(ip of tftp server)/IOS image

This worked for me. Thanks for all the help and comments.

Regards,

Jcutler

still works 16 years later 

sourabhagarwal,

Your command was right on the money!! Thank you very much. The only thing to note was that i had to clear all files out of Flash as I kept getting the error (not enough space in flash).

V/R

Jeff

For stability, use IOS version 12.2(55)SE8.

How i clean those out? I have the warning too.

Thanks

This is a link to a discussion about removing files from flash on 3750.I hope you find it useful.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/cat3750-delete-flash-directory/td-p/1153070

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card