Views
Helpful
Replies

Two isolated WAN's and HSRP

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

I am trying to solve new network design for our customer, but I am not sure about funcionality of HSRP protocol when there are two independent WAN's.

Please see picture attached. Let's say that GREEN is primary WAN1 and ORANGE is secondary WAN2. All locations are replicating same data between them. So when data changes in Location1 so it is replicated to all other locations.

I am not sure what happens if WAN1 connection will be interrupted somewhere on the way. For example interface on one of border router will fail.

Will HSRP able to handle traffic via WAN2 circuit? If yes how does it will work?

And second question is (I know that you do not have so many information about it) would you reccomend this failover topology as depicted?

Objective is that customer LAN is considered as Internet regarding security specification which wil access to individual locations.

Do you think that router 2921 and ASA 5520 with IPS module will be enough for this?

I appreciate any investigation.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jan.

1 Reply 1

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

HSRP is a next hop redundancy protocol intended to provide fault tolerance for hosts; not network infrastructure.

For instance your workstation would rely on HSRP for default gateway fault tolerance.

WAN fault tolerance/redundancy should be handeled with a dynamic routing protocol.

As far as the specific platforms required you'll need to develop SLA's with your business units and select equipment that will meet them based on the data sheets the manufacturer publishes.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card