cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two routers named Atlanta and Brevard

praveen.apr30
Level 1
Level 1

i Assume there is an issue with BW mismatch. but the answer given as IP mismacth. which one is corect.

Two routers named Atlanta and Brevard are connected by their serial interfaces as shown in the exhibit, but there is no data connectivity between them. The Atlanta router is known to have a correct configuration. Given the partial configurations shown in the exhibit, what is the problem on the Brevard router that is causing the lack of connectivity?

A. A loopback is not set

B. The IP address is incorrect.

C. The subnet mask is incorrect.

D. The serial line encapsulations are incompatible.

E. The maximum transmission unit (MTU) size is too large.

F. The bandwidth setting is incompatible with the connected interface.

Please see the attached image

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

B

hi Leo,

canu pls explain. since i have read somewhere that BW mismatch is also one of the problems for conectivity.

Geez.  Serial interface ...

If I rememebered correctly, BW statement is used for network monitoring or computing by routing protocols (such as OSPF).

This is Serial Interface, and if memory serves me correct, it's a point-to-point connection.

If it's point-to-point connnection, why are the subnet discontiguous?  Should they be in the same subnet?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The problem is, the two interfaces have interfaces in different subnets.

I agree with Leo, the likely answer is "B", but it could also be "C".  (I.e. changing either just one device's IP or both devices' mask would correct the problem.  Possible configurations for the two routers might be:

192.168.10.1/24 and 192.168.10.2/24;

192.168.11.1/24 and 192.168.11.2/24;

192.168.10.1/23 and 192.168.11.2/23)

PS:

To your later question about bandwidths, a mismatch may be a problem if the BW is from clock rates.  If from bandwidth statements, answer "F", it doesn't matter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card