Views
Helpful
Replies

Two routing entry for same destination

Kmageshkumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone let me know what happen when there are two routes exist for same destination with same cost and AD and which route the device will install in it's routing table?

For example ,I am having the below two routes,

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 3.3.3.1

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 3.3.3.2

for the destination 1.1.1.1/32 which route will be preffered from this device and which will get installed in routing table?

i am thinking it will do default per-destination load balancing.please correct me if it is wrong.

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

By default you will also have ip cef running.

This forwarding mechanism will assure that all traffic from a particular source is always sent over the same path.

Please check the link below before jumping to conclusions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_switch/configuration/guide/tceflbs.html

regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the Reply.Basically my Remote access VPN concentrator (1.1.1.1 for example) is reachable via two routes as per the above scenario,

I am not able to establish VPN from Desktop when both this routes as exists.please let me know why?

Sorry, you are really providing too little information. It will not be possible to say anything about it without more knowledge about your network setup.

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card