Helpful
Replies

two sides ,satellite link and fiber link

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi   every body.

I have this question.

Let we have two sides ,A and  B,  both are at 5000 miles.

Hi everybody.

I have this question. Let say we have two sides ,A and B  both are 5000 miles apart.These two sides are connected as  shown in each below scenarios:

Scenario # 1

SideA--------fiber optic cable---------------side B.

In this  case, both sides are connected by fiber optic cable.

Scenario# 2

Both sides are connected by satellite  such that linkA+linkB= 5000 miles, where linkA  is the link between side A and satellite and linkB is the link between side B and satellite.

============================================================================================================

While ignoring the all factors such as noise from  all sources, processing  power  of all devices   involved at side A, side b and satellite, assume side A sends a packet to side B.   Which path will be quicker and why?

Thanks  and have a good evening.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Both in case of Satellite and Fiber , packet is in the form of Electromagnetic siagnal.

In case of satellite, the speed with which it travel is 3* 10^8 m/s

In case of fiber, the speed with which it travel is 2*10^8 m/s.

So if i just send one bit, i suppose going to be faster in case of Satellite.

But things will be different when number of bits you want to send through is much more says. You have to see 2 delay to understand better, 

Serialization delay which is dependent on the speed of the link, will be  lot ....more in case of Satellite link

Propagation delay will be just a little more in case of fiber media.

So at higher speed total delay will be lot less in case of fiber.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suppose you mean "sites", not "sides".

Anyway, fiber beats any other media. The reason, it can transmit faster than anything else.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Both in case of Satellite and Fiber , packet is in the form of Electromagnetic siagnal.

In case of satellite, the speed with which it travel is 3* 10^8 m/s

In case of fiber, the speed with which it travel is 2*10^8 m/s.

So if i just send one bit, i suppose going to be faster in case of Satellite.

But things will be different when number of bits you want to send through is much more says. You have to see 2 delay to understand better, 

Serialization delay which is dependent on the speed of the link, will be  lot ....more in case of Satellite link

Propagation delay will be just a little more in case of fiber media.

So at higher speed total delay will be lot less in case of fiber.

Thanks Viyuan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am currently managing a number of sites with both fibre and satellite link.  Aside from what the previous post have mentioned, there are things that I/we have considered as to why we have de-activated our satellite link in favor of fibre optic:

1.  Satellite link have no SLA; and
2.  Satellite link can be affected by weather (cloudy or rain, hail or snow and electrical storm) and falling LEAVES!

Getting a site connected via satellite link is faster and slightly cheaper but this method is not meant to be a permanent solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card