Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Two T1 lines multilinking

I have two T1 leased lines each with 1.5Mbps, I need to multilink them together to have 3.0 Mbps link.I have the 2621XM Router.Please guide me to documentation and neccessary steps to accomplish that.

Thank you

5 REPLIES

Re: Two T1 lines multilinking

Hello,

Can you give more details on you connection(s)?

at one end you have a 2621XM. What do you have at the other end? ISP ? and other CE ?

do you run dynamic or static routing?

What is youe existing setup ?

regards,

cisand

hi

This will be the sample config for bundling 2 E1s but still you need to consider the points as mentioned by the other poster.

interface Multilink1

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

no ppp multilink fragmentation

!--- This command is optional to reduce CPU load.

multilink-group 1

!

interface Serial1/0/0:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

!--- This command is mandatory to enable first-in, first-out (FIFO)

!--- queueing on the Serial interface.

ppp multilink

multilink-group 1

!

interface Serial1/0/1:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

multilink-group 1

!

once you are done with the bundling if you are using normal static routes then point the routes via the multilinks instead the induvidual links..

regds

Both T1 lines are coming from ISP provider, one is used for Internet connectivity for our company, and the other is just backup in case first one one fails.It's more important to have more bandwidth than backup.Also, there is no routing in that router since it's only for Internet. That Internet router is connected to VPN concentrator and then into the Firewall.

Do I need to inform the ISP provider about this or this is just independent setup? I'm asking because ISP couls be able to bundle both T1 together without me changing anything on my side with exception of maybe different hardware used at the Cisco router. Which is easier and cheaper soultion do you recommend?

Hello,

Can you give more details on your connection(s)?

at one end you have a 2621XM. What do you have at the other end? ISP ? an other CE ?

do you run dynamic or static routing?

What is youe existing setup ?

regards,

cisand

Hello,

in addition to the other posts, you could also try:

ip cef

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1

This will load-balance your outbound traffic on a per-destination basis, if one link fails, all traffic will go over the remaining link...

HTH,

GNT

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content