cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

txload ?/255, rxload ?/255

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

For the first time I'm receiving WAN connectivity via a FastEthernet hand off from the ISP's Router (26xx) at my premise.

I'm used to dealing with WAN circuits terminating directly on my router (1841). I'm also used to measuring the load on my circuit by viewing the tx and rx load from the "sh int s0/0" output.

Does the fact that i'm using a FastEthernet handoff render the tx and rx load section of the "sh int f0/0" command useless?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

It also works but the load is normally really low or actually 1/255

My suggestion is to keep the load-interval (interval for load calculation for an interface) in something like 30 sec and then monitor the

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

Look at the rates and make your own baseline or normal traffic rates

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You will still see the utilization as a value over 255 (255 = total capacity, 128 = half, 64=25%, etc.); no real difference at all.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I wouldn't think so. The tx and rx load measurements are the measurements of data that's going through the particular interface. It shouldn't matter what type of interface it is. Is there a particular problem that you're seeing?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

It also works but the load is normally really low or actually 1/255

My suggestion is to keep the load-interval (interval for load calculation for an interface) in something like 30 sec and then monitor the

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

Look at the rates and make your own baseline or normal traffic rates

Yes exactly, i'm only see 1's or 2's even thoug the circuit connected to the ISP's 26xx is fully utilized.

Should I change the bandwidth statement on my outside fastethernet interface to 1536 to reflect the actual speed of the upstream circuit? Would it more acurately show the load on the link?

Yes it would (I believe).

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

i also believe bandwidth statement is relative to the rxload / txload calculation.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Does the fact that i'm using a FastEthernet handoff render the tx and rx load section of the "sh int f0/0" command useless?"

Not, I believe, if the interface's bandwidth statement reflects the actual WAN bandwidth.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: