Views
Helpful
Replies

Type of technology.....

howithink
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to cisco and am learning as we speak. AT my company we use two ISPs. Each ISP is connected to an ASA. Both ASAs connect to an internal 3850 L3 switch doing IP SLA. So in essence we use one primary ISP as our main and the second only in case the primary goes down.

I was researching and came across OSPF, BGB and so on. I have read a little about both, but we're not using any of these protocols.

As far as i know, we have 2 ASAs and they connect to ISP and off to internet traffic goes......

Can someone take a guess as to what type of protocol or technology we're using has a name?

Reason i ask is that i called someone for help once they asked if we're using BGP or OSPF and i told him I’m not sure but i would guess none of these..

Sorry for a silly question.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your using IP SLA it is very likely you aren't running a routing protocol and are simply using static routes on the 3850 to send all traffic to the ASA. The easiest why to check is to look at the routing table on the 3850 and the ASA ie.

on the 3850 the command would be "sh ip route"  and on the ASAs it is simply "sh route".

When you look at the output the thing you are interested is the first letter. This matches the codes shown above the actual routing table. If all you see is "C" which means connected and "S" which means static then you are not using a routing protocol.

If you see any other letters you can match those with the codes to see which routing protocol installed them in the routing table.

Does this make sense ?

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your using IP SLA it is very likely you aren't running a routing protocol and are simply using static routes on the 3850 to send all traffic to the ASA. The easiest why to check is to look at the routing table on the 3850 and the ASA ie.

on the 3850 the command would be "sh ip route"  and on the ASAs it is simply "sh route".

When you look at the output the thing you are interested is the first letter. This matches the codes shown above the actual routing table. If all you see is "C" which means connected and "S" which means static then you are not using a routing protocol.

If you see any other letters you can match those with the codes to see which routing protocol installed them in the routing table.

Does this make sense ?

Jon

OK for both ASA and 3850 it shows S* for static routes.

So this mean we're just simply using static routes and not any type of protocols like OSPF and BGP and so on....?

So the next time i call for assistance, and someone ask what type of protocol, i can simply say we're using static routes?

thanks

If you are only seeing "C" or "S" and nothing else then yes you are using static routes only.

Jon

Yup just C and S...

thank you...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card