cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping device outside the vlan

aasifsayyad
Level 1
Level 1

I have one equipment i.e attendance reader. Its worked very fine for few days but now it is not working properly.

I am not able to ping the same device outside the vlan.

Its pinging fine when I am ping the device from same vlan ip.

please suggest on this what should be the problem.

If I changed the IP address of the device it starts work properly.

46 Replies 46

#sh mac address-table address 0017.6189.2b45
          Mac Address Table
-------------------------------------------

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports
----    -----------       --------    -----
  72    0017.6189.2b45    DYNAMIC     Gi1/0/5
Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 1

On this port one access layer switch is connected.To this switch another switch connected.

To the second switch attendance reader is connected.

i.e.Dist->Access->Access->Attendance reader.

No mac address found on access layer switch.

When you say no Mac address on access layer switch, you are referring to the access switch that is directly connected to your distribution switch and not the switch where the reader resides, correct?

odd that the distribution switch is learning the Mac.  Mac table times out after 5 minutes by default.

No mac address found on access switch.

Also no mac address found on switch where attendance reader is connected.

d-fillmore
Level 2
Level 2

Check the default gateway on your attendance machine. It should probably be set to an IP on your switch

Hii,

The default gateway is properly set in the device.

MD KAFINUZZAMAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Attendance reader and you is in same vlan or is there any Firewall between attendance reader and you.

Thanks

Kafi

Hiii Kafi,

I am able to ping attendance reader when my system is in same vlan.

But I am not able if my system is in other vlan.

There is no firewall.

By the description of the problem what i understood is you are unable to ping  the device form a different vlan. 

now other key point here is *If I changed the IP address of the device it starts work properly.* 

are you assigning the IP address in the range of other VLAN which you are trying to reach from.

Some check points here are 

do you have trunk enabled between the switches and between switches to to the Router.

do have your encapsulation configured properly.

Have you applied any access-list which is not allowed with the IP you are trying to reach.

You may get much faster answer if you could put it in pictorial way.

Hii,

If I give same vlans different IP to device its work properly.I can ping it from anywhere.

Yes I have enabled trunk.

No I have not applied any access list.

Encapsulation configured properly.

Thanks,

Aasif

You mean to say that if your system is in the same vlan which is configured for the Attendance reader then you are able to ping, otherwise no. is that the problem?

Yes.

I have two device which has same problem now.

I have change the ip address for one of them then its working fine.

And If I give that attendance readers IP to my laptop then I can ping laptop from anywhere.

I have also change the device but still the problem is not resolved.

so you mean to say that one of the devices is working fine after changing the IP address and still the other one is encountering the same issue?

Check if you have any duplex mismatches. 

Need more clarification on this to give the proper solution, give a pictorial view of the same.

Hiii,

I have checked the duplex its on automode.

And its fullduplex.

See I have same issue few months ago that time I have change the device but still its not working.

Then I have connect my laptop to the same port on which device is connected and give its ip to laptop then laptop works fine.

Then I decided to change the IP address of the device after that the device is working fine till now.

But I have encounter same problem for my other device now.

So I just come to know changing the IP its not the solution. Something is went wrong which is to be found out.

So please help me to get out of this as I have tried all my abilities to sort out this problem.

Hi, You were referring about changing the IP, you said when you change the IP you were able to ping. The IP which you changed is of which VLAN? 

When your PC is in the vlan 72, are you able o ping the attendance Reader?

Is the device in Vlan 98 able to reach attendance reader?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card