Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Cisco Switch Products

Hello,

I am writing this because I remain confused when trying to choose Cisco products for our next project and I am hoping someone out there can steer me in the correct direction.

Basically, I am looking to purchase a Cisco switch that supports 8 ports at 10Gbps over Cat6e cable usring RJ45 ports.  The switch needs to be maneagable, support layer 3 and below, and ideally remain at a small form factor of about 1U.  Based on my research and conversations with Cisco Reps I am looking at the 4500X catalyst switch.

Looking at the data sheet I have found this product model (WS-C4500X-16SFP+).  So this device looks like it comes with 16SFP+ ports.

So my biggest problem is trying to understand what module I need to purchase so I can just connect that module into the SFP+ ports and then plug my Cat6e RJ45 ports into that so I can connect all my servers together?

I suppose my main question is what module do I need so I can connect my RJ45 adapers into the SFP+ ports and does anyone else recommend a better solution to my requirements since I know little about Cisco switches?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

There are converters available on the market to convert RJ-45 to SFP.

I would consider a 3 slot chassis, with one supervisor one 16 port sfp+ Linecard and one 48 port rj-45 linecard.

take a look at the link below, there is some discussion of rj45 line cards.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-4500-series-line-cards/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

Thanks for your reply vmiller,

I only need to connect 8 systems to the switch.  These systems need to run at 10Gbps.  I am looking for only a 8 or 16 port card.  I also need this RJ45 to SFP+ module to run at 10Gbps.  Does anyone know of a module that will do this?

Thanks,

Joe

If it's acceptable to use Twinax cable instead of utp6/rj45 then this is your best choise. Twinax cables are cheaper that SFP+ modules on the other hand. Cables up to 5m are supported on 4500x. Twinax cables up to 10m are supported on Nexus5548 switch (as a alternative choise of 4500x).

Cisco doesn't provide 10G SFP+ UTP transceiver.

On the other hand, Nexus 5596T has 32 10gbase-t ports built in already so you don't need SFP+ modules at all.

Another option is Catalyst 6500 with 16 port card with 10gbase-t interfaces (ws-x6816-10t-2t).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card