Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Understanding Cisco Switch Products

Hello,

I am writing this because I remain confused when trying to choose Cisco products for our next project and I am hoping someone out there can steer me in the correct direction.

Basically, I am looking to purchase a Cisco switch that supports 8 ports at 10Gbps over Cat6e cable usring RJ45 ports.  The switch needs to be maneagable, support layer 3 and below, and ideally remain at a small form factor of about 1U.  Based on my research and conversations with Cisco Reps I am looking at the 4500X catalyst switch.

Looking at the data sheet I have found this product model (WS-C4500X-16SFP+).  So this device looks like it comes with 16SFP+ ports.

So my biggest problem is trying to understand what module I need to purchase so I can just connect that module into the SFP+ ports and then plug my Cat6e RJ45 ports into that so I can connect all my servers together?

I suppose my main question is what module do I need so I can connect my RJ45 adapers into the SFP+ ports and does anyone else recommend a better solution to my requirements since I know little about Cisco switches?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

3 REPLIES
Gold

There are converters available on the market to convert RJ-45 to SFP.

I would consider a 3 slot chassis, with one supervisor one 16 port sfp+ Linecard and one 48 port rj-45 linecard.

take a look at the link below, there is some discussion of rj45 line cards.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-4500-series-line-cards/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

Thanks for your reply vmiller,

I only need to connect 8 systems to the switch.  These systems need to run at 10Gbps.  I am looking for only a 8 or 16 port card.  I also need this RJ45 to SFP+ module to run at 10Gbps.  Does anyone know of a module that will do this?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Understanding Cisco Switch Products

If it's acceptable to use Twinax cable instead of utp6/rj45 then this is your best choise. Twinax cables are cheaper that SFP+ modules on the other hand. Cables up to 5m are supported on 4500x. Twinax cables up to 10m are supported on Nexus5548 switch (as a alternative choise of 4500x).

Cisco doesn't provide 10G SFP+ UTP transceiver.

On the other hand, Nexus 5596T has 32 10gbase-t ports built in already so you don't need SFP+ modules at all.

Another option is Catalyst 6500 with 16 port card with 10gbase-t interfaces (ws-x6816-10t-2t).

Views
Helpful
Replies