Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Format in Console

Mero Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have got a problematic 1841 router. I connected it with console cable and use HyperTerminal application with

BPS: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Parity None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: None

but the displays shows as follows. What may be the problem ? I can't see the english language, what to do now ?

ËŠª¨GÌÍ(W•³•BÜ΍£¥õ«©¡«©¡Gf­GMèF£eˆ)¯+%©§§Mr§j‹ ï(MŽV»øìõ3B…«»v£FÝ=;VOèF£eˆ

)¯+%©)§N N'vnjj»³6r³h-Bãeˆ)¯+%©)'f¾.zN' ~R5ˆîïÝèv®V££õ£ë£'%3Þ££õF£ÈMèF£eˆ)¿+

%/]'fnno/?míHv£îïÝèv®V££õ£Œî£'%3v££õþ

Regards,

Mero

3 Replies 3

ashirkar
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Mero,

Are you using any kind of converter (like serial to usb) for taking router console?,so might that will be having problem

Please try following steps if you still not getting proper console access of router

1)Try with different baud rates

2)power off router,then power on it and press control+break and try to stuck it in rommon mode

then use confreg command to set default baud rate i.e 9600

command:

rommon > confreg

It will ask you for question like console baud,config register etc set it baud

rate as 9600 and config register 0x2102 and the save the config.

3)Try to take console  with another machine.

Hop that will work 

thanks and regards,

Ashish

Hi Mero,

it only depends from the baud rate . Nothing else. Set your terminal application to 19200 or 38400 and you should get the right letter coming up

The (most common) possible speeds to set should be :

should you want to fix the baud rate i'd sugets to do it from the ROMMON rather than from normal config.

Alessio

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

A common cause for outputs like this is an incorrect baud rate on your serial port.

I'd try changing the rate your computer's serial port is set to - start at 2400, then work up through 4800, 19200, 38400 etc.

It's possible someone has changed the console port baud rate and left it that way so the default of 9600 doesn't work correctly.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card