cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unresolved routing issue. 2600, pix, 1841, 3550.

ROBERT MILTON
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, here is my setup, I have a cisco 2600 router as my endpoint to my ISP. I also have a PIX firewall, a Cisco 1841 router, a cisco 3550 switch & a netgear prosafe switch. The PIX firewall is set for all internet traffic & the 1841 is set to do a GRE VPN connection to a vendor for a specific application. This is how everything is set up physically, The 2600 is the endpoint & plugged into the Netgear switch. The PIX & 1841 are also plugged into the netgear & all are on the same subnet. They are then plugged into the 3550 & it is set to route traffic to the app?s ip on the 1841.

Everything seemed to work correctly, but for some reason, I cannot ping or trace route to the PIX or 1841. I cannot even ping to them from the 2600. The weird thing is that all my internet traffic seems to work correctly & I haven?t had a problem. That was my first problem. My second problem is that from the inside, whenever I try to ping an ip address on the network that should be going through the 1841?s VPN connection, the 3550 still tries to route it through to the PIX?s ip. I cannot seem to figure this one out. Someone I spoke to suggested I put an ip route command in the 2600 to get traffic to be recognized by the 1841, but if I do that, it will kill all of my other traffic. The internal problem seems like it should be working with the current config on the switch, but it just isn?t routing correctly. The config should be attached to this post for the 2600 & the 3550. Please let me know if there is more info needed. Thanks.

Config is here... http://66.255.31.174/CISCO.TXT

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

For your first problem I think you have to enable ICMP echo's on the PIX interfaces. For your second problem, you can check if the ping's are being re-routed to go through the PIX.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card