cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unusual traffic between Router and ISP server

dbdickson
Level 1
Level 1

We have installed an 871 ethernet Router in our network. DNS DHCP servers are disabled. Simple static IP addressing. one simple static route configured. Have configured the simple SDM firewall.

We are natting the static hosts with the router Static global ip address. We see continuous Tx, Rx indications on the router front panel,even with nothing connected to the router. The ISP has assured us that our connection is static, not DHCP. Is there a simple explanation and cure for this problem? How can I setup logging to see what is going on? I have Telnet and FTP connection through the console port to a monitor PC.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duane

Is CDP enabled or disabled? Is this traffic possibly CDP?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick:

CDP is disabled. I got hold of a Cisco document- "Cisco Guide to Harden Cisco IOS Devices". It has a list of services that should be disabled if not used. I guess I will have to work my way through the list. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Duane

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco