cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS with not enough Flash Space... what files are safe to delete?

pjscott13
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2801 that is located at a Branch Office with out IT support staff on location. I would like to update the IOS to the latest release remotely however I am just short of having enough space for both the previous version of the IOS and the new version of the IOS.

Can someone tell me if the following files are safe to delete?

• sdmconfig-2801.cfg
  • sdm.tar
  • es.tar
  • common.tar
  • home.shtml
  • home.tar
  • securedesktop-ios-3.1.1.45-k9.pkg
  • sslclient-win-1.1.3.173.pkg

I am instantly thinking that the SDM files are ok as we do not use the SDM on the router, but I would still need a couple more MB. The secure desktop and ssl client files look pretty old and I don't know what they do. Can someone maybe explain what each of the files do?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you don't need sslclient, then you can delete all except IOS.

Regards,

Smitesh

View solution in original post

Hello Pjscott13,

if the router is not configured for any form of VPN, including SSL VPN and it is not configured for remote access it just uses the current IOS image when it boots up.

You can however upload the files using copy flash tftp to copy to a tftp server before deleting them

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ksaleemjaffer
Level 1
Level 1

If the router is providing only routing functionality and it does not participate any kinda VPN or secure desktop, you can delete all files.

But still if you are not sure what to delete, its better take a backup of all the files using tftp or ftp copy. Later you can restore if required.

For checking, issue the command show process to know any process related to vpn or secure desk is running.

4 Replies 4

Hi,

If you don't need sslclient, then you can delete all except IOS.

Regards,

Smitesh

How do I know for certain that we don't need SSLClient? We do not use the SDM or HTTPS access for the router, and this router does not use any VPN or Remote Access. This router purely translates data from our ethernet network to an ISDN network.

Hello Pjscott13,

if the router is not configured for any form of VPN, including SSL VPN and it is not configured for remote access it just uses the current IOS image when it boots up.

You can however upload the files using copy flash tftp to copy to a tftp server before deleting them

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ksaleemjaffer
Level 1
Level 1

If the router is providing only routing functionality and it does not participate any kinda VPN or secure desktop, you can delete all files.

But still if you are not sure what to delete, its better take a backup of all the files using tftp or ftp copy. Later you can restore if required.

For checking, issue the command show process to know any process related to vpn or secure desk is running.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card