cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading 7206 for 1GB fiber

sdoucette
Level 1
Level 1

I'm hoping to change out our T-1s for fiber in the next year and I'm trying to determine what router upgrades or replacements I'll need to make. The core router is a 7206 (VXR with NPE-400 and I/O controller w/2 FE/E ports). All my other sites connect to this one. Can this be upgraded to 1GB fiber? My sites have mostly 2651XM 10/100. I know these aren't fast enough. What would be a good replacement?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No router except perhaps NPE-G2 can keep with full gigabit speed. So depending on the application, you can look into having an infrastructure built with layres 3 switches, like 3750s.

Of course, if your applications are not so demanding, you can still use the existing routers for a while, the details depedns on the type of fiber and the topology you will be given.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

The point-to-point fiber network will be handing off a 1GB fiber connection to the MDFs. The applications at most sites (schools) are pretty demanding, streaming video, curriculum programs, etc. So you're recommending a 3750 at each site? How much memory and what modules do I need for the 3750s?

Hi,

the 3750 is fixed configuration.

If you want to save & optimize little, look also for the 3560 8 ports at the school. It's a great L3 device and it's economical. You fit the SFP with the fiber of your choice, then have 8 100 mbps ports to which you can connect subtending L2 switches, voice routers, etc.

At the center, you can place something like a 3750 with 12 SFP ports for concentration.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card