Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

upgrading 7206 for 1GB fiber

I'm hoping to change out our T-1s for fiber in the next year and I'm trying to determine what router upgrades or replacements I'll need to make. The core router is a 7206 (VXR with NPE-400 and I/O controller w/2 FE/E ports). All my other sites connect to this one. Can this be upgraded to 1GB fiber? My sites have mostly 2651XM 10/100. I know these aren't fast enough. What would be a good replacement?

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: upgrading 7206 for 1GB fiber

Hi,

No router except perhaps NPE-G2 can keep with full gigabit speed. So depending on the application, you can look into having an infrastructure built with layres 3 switches, like 3750s.

Of course, if your applications are not so demanding, you can still use the existing routers for a while, the details depedns on the type of fiber and the topology you will be given.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

The point-to-point fiber network will be handing off a 1GB fiber connection to the MDFs. The applications at most sites (schools) are pretty demanding, streaming video, curriculum programs, etc. So you're recommending a 3750 at each site? How much memory and what modules do I need for the 3750s?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi,

the 3750 is fixed configuration.

If you want to save & optimize little, look also for the 3560 8 ports at the school. It's a great L3 device and it's economical. You fit the SFP with the fiber of your choice, then have 8 100 mbps ports to which you can connect subtending L2 switches, voice routers, etc.

At the center, you can place something like a 3750 with 12 SFP ports for concentration.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Views
Helpful
Replies