cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Console (Serial) Driver fails to install on Windows 8.1 x64

NeverOutofTune
Level 1
Level 1

The USB console cable driver v3.1 will not install on Windows 8.1 x64.  Had a similar problem with Windows 7 x64 but this was fixed using Greg's (greggar25) excellent step-by-step procedure (see post: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11492306/usb-console-driver-install-failing).

I am using the driver from this link: http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282774228&flowid=7442&softwareid=282855122&release=3.1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

I followed the same procedures I did for Windows 7 and the install goes without a hitch.  Reboot and connect the USB cable, opened Device Manager and now I have a COM Port randomly appearing and disappearing with its number incrementing well above 1,000.

A few times while it appeared for a few seconds, I was able to right click on the properties, update the driver and chose Cisco Serial and it settled down but it did not assign a COM port.  Then a few seconds later, it starts the disappearing/reappearing thing again.

Anyone have luck getting this to work with Windows 8.1 x64?

5 Replies 5

Hi,

• open Device Manager by simply typing the words on the Windows 8.1 Start Screen. The Search Charm opens and click Device Manager in the displayed list. 
  • In Device Manager a new hardware category, CiscoUsbConsoleWindowsDriver, is displayed. It has two components: the Cisco Bus enumerator and the Cisco USB to Serial adapter. Expanding the Ports hardware category shows a new Cisco Serial port. 

or 

Look into below 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11492306/usb-console-driver-install-failing

1) Install the usb console driver\windows 64\setup(x64)

2) Follow the wizard and accept the defaults

3) Restart the computer (the installer usually says it needs a restart)

4) After restarting the computer, plug in the usb cable

5) The computer should say installing Device driver software and fail at the Cisco Virtual Comm Port00

6) Click the Windows button, right click computer, manage

7) Under Computer Management, Click Device Management

8) Go to Ports (COM & LPT)

9) You should see the Cisco Virtual Comm Port00 with a Yellow Exclamation point on it

10) Right Click on the Cisco Virtual Comm Port00 and select Properties

11) Click the Driver Tab

12) Click Update Driver

13) Select Browse my computer for driver software

14) Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

15) Choose the Cisco Serial Driver

16) Device Driver is installed successfully, take note of the com port it is using and enjoy.

HTH 

Sandy 

•  

Thanks for the quick reply Sandy.

I'm not quite sure you understand my problem.  I did all the steps mentioned in the link you and I both listed to fix the Windows 7 x64 installation.

When I open Device Manager, the  Cisco Virtual Comm Port00 does not appear, instead, I get a new port with a random number that appears for a couple of seconds and then goes away.  It will come back with a new number, then the disappearance again.

I have never seen device come/go away every few seconds while viewing the device manager.  So this is different from the Windows 7 problem.

Did you get this work on Windows 8.1 x64?

Hi ,

I will check this in my lab machine and let you shortly .

Thanks

sandy

franklinb
Level 1
Level 1

Mine installs fine however after reboot/standby the port doesn't work until it's been uninstalled and I do a "scan/refresh" in device manager. I'm running Win 8.1 64bit as well.

PowerStay
Level 1
Level 1

I was running across this problem the last time I plug my phone to computer. After some searches, I got a free program that helped me to install the USB driver easily and fast.

It is a free driver update software, except for installing my USB driver, it updated 4 out of date drivers on my computer. drivethelife.com download it from official site is recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: