Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of Routing Protocols

mudasir05
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We have a network of a L3 switch, an ASA firewall,a router,L2 switch connected to some servers.All these are connected through inter-vlan routing.

In this scenario if i run any routing protocol what will be the advantage of that?

How data traffic will the routed in this scenario?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amit Shah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Routing Protocols are used in the implementation of routing algorithms to facilitate the exchange of routing information between networks, allowing routers to build routing tables dynamically. 

I guess you're having one campus network only so you don't require routing protocol.

Regards,

Amit

View solution in original post

Hi Mudasir,

The benefits of running a routing protocol in your situation are as follows:

1. Eliminates the need to install static routes (ip route x.x.x.x) manually on your router/ASA.
  2. If you decide to expand, (add additional routers or ASAs) all you will have to do is connect them, enable your routing protocol on them and they will find the best path through your network.

Those are the two main reasons for your scenario. There are of course other more specific reasons depending on what you are trying to accomplish. 

-Mario

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Amit Shah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Routing Protocols are used in the implementation of routing algorithms to facilitate the exchange of routing information between networks, allowing routers to build routing tables dynamically. 

I guess you're having one campus network only so you don't require routing protocol.

Regards,

Amit

Thanks Amit,yes we are having one campus network....

just curious to know in case i run any routing protocol in the said scenario what benefits will it serve.

Thanks

Hi Mudasir,

The benefits of running a routing protocol in your situation are as follows:

1. Eliminates the need to install static routes (ip route x.x.x.x) manually on your router/ASA.
  2. If you decide to expand, (add additional routers or ASAs) all you will have to do is connect them, enable your routing protocol on them and they will find the best path through your network.

Those are the two main reasons for your scenario. There are of course other more specific reasons depending on what you are trying to accomplish. 

-Mario

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card