cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use seperate CSU/DSU or WIC T1 CSU/DSU for WAN link?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

Forgive me but I just had a basic question about hardware.

Our network was designed and implemented (before I got here) by a CCIE.

All branches have MPLS connectivity and 2800 series routers.

At each site, he used a seperate CSU/DSU.

I don't know why he did that when you can have a WIC T1 CSU/DSU for a cleaner connection and one less thing to supply power to.

Is there any technical reason to do that that I am unaware of that makes a better or safer or more efficient connection?

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is really no technical reason and is better to use integrated CSU/DSU for the very reasons you mentioned.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks Paolo.

Richard

I agree with Paolo that there is not much technical reason to prefer separate CSU/DSU. But is it possible that there was some financial or political reason to choose this (layers 8 and 9 of the multi layered model)? Is it possible that the circuits with separate CSU/DSU existed with older routers and the routers were upgraded (in which case it probably was less expensive to keep the existing CSU/DSU and use a less expensive serial card)? Is it possible that in negotiating for provisioning of the circuits the provider gave an especially attractive price for circuits with CSU/DSU included? Is it possible that in setting up Service Level Agreements where responsibility for the performance of the serial links goes to the provider that they wanted/needed control of the CSU/DSU?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card