cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using DDR for Frame relay backup with 8 BRI interfaces

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

We are implementing a 2811 with an 8 Port BRI network module to use as backup lines should the frame relay link go down.

I have found many articles explaining the setup and it makes perfect sense when using one BRI interface and one remote site.

How do I make it work with the other interfaces and multiple sites. Do I have to dedicate one interface to each site?

Can I place all the BRI interfaces into a pool and have a dialer grab one when it's needed.

Thanks,

Denny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denny

There are a few things which may impact the implementation which are not clear in your question, such as how many remotes do you want to back up with the BRIs, whether you want one BRI per remote or perhaps more, and whether you want the call intiaited from the central site, from the remote, or from either.

But we can address the main part of your question. It is certainly a viable option (and I think probably the optimum choice) to put the BRI interfaces into a pool, configure Dialer interfaces which will get an available BRI from the pool when backup is needed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Denny

There are a few things which may impact the implementation which are not clear in your question, such as how many remotes do you want to back up with the BRIs, whether you want one BRI per remote or perhaps more, and whether you want the call intiaited from the central site, from the remote, or from either.

But we can address the main part of your question. It is certainly a viable option (and I think probably the optimum choice) to put the BRI interfaces into a pool, configure Dialer interfaces which will get an available BRI from the pool when backup is needed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thank you for responding back to me. We have 11 remote sites and only a few of them would need both B channels to come up.

The host site will initiate the backup. The interesting traffic will be a ping from our network monitoring station.

The other thing that's not clear to me is the dialers. Do I configure a dialer for each site or do they all get setup under the one dialer?

The rest seems to be pretty straight forward from the examples I have.

Thanks,

Denny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: