cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using same subnet on 2 diffrent interfaces on same router

eferro
Level 1
Level 1

I have  dilema. I am getting ready to move a metro ethernet off a switch and onto a router. Unfortunatly it of forcing me to use same subnet on 2 diffrent interfaces on the same router. The ISPs gateway/peer is using an address that is the same subnet as the class c they provide. Also, have an issue with archtecture change to accomodate this.

I have never had a need to do this before. Any suggestion on how to get this can be down.

I get an error message when I try to do this.

See attached drawing for Visual.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

eferro@radixx.com

I have  dilema. I am getting ready to move a metro ethernet off a switch and onto a router. Unfortunatly it of forcing me to use same subnet on 2 diffrent interfaces on the same router. The ISPs gateway/peer is using an address that is the same subnet as the class c they provide. Also, have an issue with archtecture change to accomodate this.

I have never had a need to do this before. Any suggestion on how to get this can be down.

I'm afraid you can't do this on a router with ethernet interfaces. You could subnet down the class C but trouble is you could have a /30 on the outside to the ISP but then you would need multiple subnets on the inside interface and hence multiple secondary addresses.

It might be worth asking the ISP if you could have a /30 just for the handoff.

Jon

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Eferro,

only on serial interfaces or POS interfaces this is possible.

on lan interfaces you get an "address overlapping error" and ip address of second interface is rejected.

as noted by Jon you should ask for a separate s/30 or the current subnet has to be subnetted in two parts  (if this is possible)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

eferro@radixx.com

I'm afraid you can't do this on a router with ethernet interfaces. You could subnet down the class C but trouble is you could have a /30 on the outside to the ISP but then you would need multiple subnets on the inside interface and hence multiple secondary addresses.

It might be worth asking the ISP if you could have a /30 just for the handoff.

Jon

Thanks--

I think I am goin to ask the ISP to change thier ip address. This will solve the issue.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Eferro,

only on serial interfaces or POS interfaces this is possible.

on lan interfaces you get an "address overlapping error" and ip address of second interface is rejected.

as noted by Jon you should ask for a separate s/30 or the current subnet has to be subnetted in two parts  (if this is possible)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks-

I am going to ask the ISP to change their ip address before peering. This should take of the issue.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: