cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using the ports on a redundant supervisor???

hello guys,

ive a 6506-E with sup-32GE-3B 2 no's

one is on 5th slot and one is on 6th. 5th one is the active supervisor, and both the supervisors got 8 port fiber so total in 2 supervisors i've got 16 fiber ports. so my query is how can i utilize the 8 ports which is in the redundent supervisor to connect my active edge switch connections.

Regards

Binoy

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can't use the fiber ports of the standby supervisor while it is in standby mode.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

guys any comments.............

Hi Binoy,

The Supervisor Engine 32 (WS-SUP32-GE-3B) has a 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 uplink port and eight Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports.

In a redundant configuration with two supervisor engines, the uplink ports on the redundant (standby) supervisor engine are active and can be used for normal traffic like any other ports in the chassis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080395a21.html#wp1059428

Rate if it does,

Rgs.

Hi Binoy,

YES ofcourse u can use the fiber ports on the standby supervisor engine also. there is nothing like that you can't use the standby sup engine fiber ports. bcoz i had been using 6509 with the same setup up for the past 3 years.

Hi,

I am extremely sorry, i got confused with your question with another case i've seen, the answer would be yes, in a redundant configuration with two supervisor engines, the uplink ports on the redundant (standby) supervisor engine are active and can be used for normal traffic like any other ports in the chassis.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card