Views
Helpful
Replies

V.24/RS232 back to back circuits

pauljohnsey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a V.24/RS232 interface on Router A to a V.24/RS232 interface on Router B using Wic-2AS modules and a combination of DTE and DCE cables but I cannot get the interfaces to come up. I can do this using X.21 interfaces with ease by setting the clock on the one router.

Is what I'm attempting to do possible?

If so, any ideas?

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paul

I have done many router to router connections with RS232 back to back cables. Make sure that one end is DTE and the other end is DCE. On the DCE side configure clock rate.

When you try this does the interface show as down/down or as up/down. The up/down is usually due to problems with keepalive and most often is failure to establish a valid clock rate on the DCE.

Have you set the Wic-2AS to operate in sync mode? What clock rate are you setting?

Perhaps you can post the output of show controller serial and show interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi Mr. Rick,

at will be the maximum data transfer speed for this setup? as well as how will they create problem with keepalive?

regards

Devang

Devang

I believe that there are issues if you get over 64K. If you do not configure clock rate, or configure invalid clock rate, or configure it on the DTE instead of the DCE then the routers can not send keepalive messages over the link and it will show as up/down.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cbouwhuis
Level 1
Level 1

Paul, I think you had to be aware of the limited clock speed on these cards. Pls try 64k on the DCE side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card