cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Versatile Static Routes

piasecr
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently at a client site which has a managed MPLS WAN but is looking to implement a VPN tunnel to its remote offices over its Internet connection for resiliency purposes. The problem is that the client currently uses only static routes within its network and is not open to using dynamic routing protocols. Currently the network core (dual Catalyst 3750s)has static routes to its remote offices pointing to the ethernet interface of the onsite provider managed router. If I enter other static routes to their remote sites to go via their Internet connection it will not buy me anything because if there is an issue in the MPLS cloud, the Catalyst 3750 will never know and will not fail over to the secondary static routes with higher administrative distances. Has anyone ever come across this type of scenario or have any ideas???

2 Replies 2

You need a feature called Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking.

Check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

HTH,

Sundar

Sorry for the long delay in response. This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for help.

Regards,

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card