cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Multicast with microwave link

honslp2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, the network is using a SW3560, in this switch the DVR server is running as well as the video monitor. This network uses a microwave link and nonCisco access points to expand video cameras across the intranet network. It is important to mention that all the switches and routers are cisco devices.

The problem resides when severeal users wants to access the video traffic the bandwidth decreases and make a low connection for all users.

If the network uses same vlan what protocol would it fit more the client needs? IGMP Snooping using the L3 on switch 3560 or just CGMP due they are using same vlan?

If we segment the traffic using VLANs can we still use IGMP Snooping?

Any help will be appreciate,

Patricia

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

honslp2009 wrote:

Hi, the network is using a SW3560, in this switch the DVR server is running as well as the video monitor. This network uses a microwave link and nonCisco access points to expand video cameras across the intranet network. It is important to mention that all the switches and routers are cisco devices.

The problem resides when severeal users wants to access the video traffic the bandwidth decreases and make a low connection for all users.

If the network uses same vlan what protocol would it fit more the client needs? IGMP Snooping using the L3 on switch 3560 or just CGMP due they are using same vlan?

If we segment the traffic using VLANs can we still use IGMP Snooping?

Any help will be appreciate,

Patricia

Patricia

Yes you can run IGMP snooping on multiple vlans.

Basically if you run it only on one vlan then you still need something to make the IGMP queries but the 3560 switch supports the IGMP snooping querier function which you can use -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html#wp1193337

If you want to have multiple vlans then you will need to run multicast routing and also enable PIM on all your L3 vlans that need to access the multicast stream.

Jon

Hi, based on the link that you sent me I only need to enable "IGMP Snooping" in global mode, per vlan used on multicast, and configuring a static host to join the group?

How important is to configure and enabled IGMP Snooping Querier and TNC?

This is my first time programming multicast and been read many configurations, so far I understand the best design is to create different VLANs according to their services and separate traffic.

Based on the article, the multicast for video will work with only the following commands:

switch(config)#ig igmp snooping

switch(config)#ig igmp snooping vlan vlan-id

switch(config)#ig igmp snooping vlan vlan-id mrouter learn pim-dvmrp

Configuring a Multicast Router Port

switch(config)#ig igmp snooping vlan vlan-id mrouter interface interface-id

Configuring a Host Statically to Join a Group

switch(config)#ig igmp snooping vlan vlan-id static ip-address interface interface-id

Now, for the client switches need to be configured with the same commands?

Please let me know,

Thank you.

Patricia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card