Helpful
Replies

Virtual-link multi-aires OSPF

bassel.asbaty
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Here's the situation :

I have 3 areas : 0, 1 and 2, the ABR are Cisco and cloud areas equipments are the quagga Version 0.99.17 :

------quagga_area0------ Cisco01 ------quagga_area1------ Cisco12 ------quagga_area2------

I  created my virtual- link between the two Cisco to  link area 2 to area 0 ,  adding " area 1 virtual- link ROUTER- ID " on  both routers.

The VL is up.

Cisco12 side: I  have all the routes whose " O IA" of area 0 but they aren't propagated  to area 2 . So, area 2 can't join the area 0.

Cisco01 side: I have just the routes "O" of areas 0 and 1 , and  no routes from area 2. In this router, the Summary ( Area 0 ) doesn't  contain the routes of area 2 unlike the Summary (  Area 1 ) which  contains the routes of area 2  from ADV router : Cisco12

Furthermore, the quagga equipements of area 1 have the  routes of the three areas and can reach directly the area 2 equipments  by Cisco12 without having to go through the area 0 !!!

I do not understand why Cisco01 can't have the routes  of area 2 ( linked with aire0 by VL ) ! and why the quagga area 1  doesn't pass through the area 0 then VL to reach area2 !

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help,

B.

2 Replies 2

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I know this is not what you are asking for, but can you do tunnel instead of VL? Both should be able to solve the problem, but VL has limitation on the area type, and the transit router will receive all the LSA. I like tunnel better, is easier to understand, and tshoot. Just build a tunnel between Cisco01 and Cisco12, put the tunnel in area 0.

HTH,

Lei Tian

bassel.asbaty
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thx LeiTian, but i found the problem:

Instead of all documents on the Internet, it's necessary to declare the area 0 in Cisco 12,

So i added the line: area 0 authentication message-digest

It's strange but that's all.

Bassel

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card