Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN and IPSEC VPN

I have a remote site that is connected to our main site via a ipsec vpn - my questions is this, how will I be able to configure the switch at the remote end so that is pick up VLAN information from the central site ? VLAN=layer2 IPSEC VPN=layer 3... and help on this subject would be great.

2 REPLIES

Re: VLAN and IPSEC VPN

hi

Whats the kinda connectivity between your central and remote sites ?

if this is gonna via MetroE its very much possible to transport the details from the Central site to the remote sites using ERS or EWS or VPLS based on you connectivity requirements.

though i havent worked on in transporting L2 info in L3 IPSEC vpn would suggest to check out something like this...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008027893e.html

regds

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: VLAN and IPSEC VPN

I do not understand what kind of VLAN information you want to pick up at the remote switch from the central site switch. The switches are in different broadcast domains so they will not be switching or bridging directly to each other?

The closest feature that I can think of for carrying layer 2 information over a layer 3 connection is something like DLSw+. And I am not sure that DLSw+ will solve your problem.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content