Views
Helpful
Replies

VLan doubt

gopal_4476
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

what is the diffirence between creating Vlan in config terminal mode and Vlan database mode??

Regards,

Gopal

9 Replies 9

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

If you need a normal L2 VLAN which is required to be associated with the switchports you can simply have them in database mode but if you are going on for a SVI(Switched Virtual Interface) which you do mostly in L3 switches you need to have them created in terminal mode with ip address configured under that..

regds

Hi,

Could you post some links for this..

Regards,

Gopal

Hi Gopal,

I think you are asking what is the difference between creating layer 2 vlans in vlan database mode or creating vlans in global config mode?

If yes here you go with the link which will give you the details

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12120ea2/3550scg/swvlan.htm#wp1196935

Also you must use this config-vlan mode when creating extended-range VLANs (VLAN IDs greater than 1005

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

HI

In addition to above posts

when u create vlans in vlan database mode u r vlan info is going to be get saved in vlan.dat fiel.

If u create vlans in config mode it is going to be saved in u r nvram.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi,

So whats the difference ? i mean what if i create say, VLAN13 in VLAN databse and not in Config mode or what if i create VLAN13 in Config mode but not in VLAN database ? whats the adv and disadv ?

regards

Neo

Hi ,

Please answer....

regards

Neo

VLAN database mode is being eliminated by Cisco and will not be supported at some point in the future. You want to use config mode commands from here on out.

Hope this helps

Steve

I've been configuring a test 6509 and noticed when I add vlans under global config mode they don't show up in my "sho run". This will be a VTP server. I noticed on one of our other 6509s the "sho run" actually shows the vlans that were added thru the global configuration mode.

thanks,

wang19841229
Level 1
Level 1

vlan datebase mode is a datebase .

vlan config mode is in config file .so delete config file vlan is not being .

I am chinase so my english is not good .sorry !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card