Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN over WAN

Hi all,

I have two locations connected via bonded T1s (Multilink PPP). I am trying to bridge the whole connection together and pass 802.1Q tags from the devices at each end.

The straight forward bridging works just fine, but when I attempt to use 802.1Q the VLAN IDs disappear somewhere along the eway.

Any suggestions on what to do? Is there anyway to packet dump from inside the Cisco's so I can see the vlan tag?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES
Silver

Re: VLAN over WAN

AFAIK, it is not able to carry 802.1q in WAN connection, even bridging. You may require to create sub-intefaces in WAN then map to the correspong VLANs. VLAN trunking can be enabled at LAN only. The problem is : can you bridge a trunk ? I believe not.

Hope this helps.

I'm not really sure this is what you are looking for, but try this link:

IEEE 802.1Q-in-Q VLAN Tag Termination

"Encapsulating IEEE 802.1Q VLAN tags within 802.1Q enables service providers to use a single VLAN to support customers who have multiple VLANs. The IEEE 802.1Q-in-Q VLAN Tag Termination feature on the subinterface level preserves VLAN IDs and keeps traffic in different customer VLANs segregated. "

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_7/gt_qinq.htm

it might help,

Vlad

Silver

QinQ is a system that allows you to transport Dot1Q trunks over other Dot1Q trunks, but still doesn't support PPP.

The feature you're looking for is a PPP feature, called BCP. It allows you to configure your PPP links to carry the Dot1Q tags, essentially solving your problem.

Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801a6d95.html

Hey, thanks for this posts...really cool information.

Vlad

Silver

Thanks a lot for the info. I learned new knowledge here. :)

yups ,

Q-in-Q tunnel would definitely help out as ealier stated.

Thanks to all for the responses. BCP looks like what I need so I will get up to speed on that.

Thanks,

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content